Saturday, May 5, 2012

Adventures Through the Aisles

This week's grocery list
Grocery shopping. It's a necessary weekly task that sometimes seems overwhelming simply because it involves planning around 5 kiddos. I have worked it into the week in a few ways. I have gone late at night after everyone is in bed, I have taken two of the five with me, I have even braved the grocery store with 4 children in tow (thanks to Kroger having carts that have seats for four children!) Well, today the groceries needed to be done, and we made the mundane task a family event.

We created a picture grocery list for our three oldest. Each child left the house with a clipboard, their personalized list, stickers (which they used to mark off when they found an item on their list), and each their own reusable grocery bag. Yes, today in our house the kids did the groceries and they loved it! Kyle started at one end of the store with Lamar and little brother, Jay. I started at the other end with Ava, Mia, and Dominic. The task was taken very seriously and met with excitement. Finding a loaf of bread has never been more fun! Ava was most excited that I didn't make her ride in the cart and she was allowed to take things off the shelf herself. Mia's first item on her list was frozen chicken. She proceeded down the isle saying in a sing songy voice, "Chicken, where are you!?" The girls were slightly concerned that I wanted them to help me find ice cream because it wasn't on their list. I think they forgave me when they got to enjoy some after their dinner! Lamar had fun selecting all the flavors of yogurt himself.

We can check grocery shopping off the list for the week. I am pretty sure we were the only family whose children were walking around with clipboard searching for groceries, but we had a fun time getting the job done as a family!

2 comments:

  1. you are not the only one w/ this prdicament. i babysat my fave twins so their mommy & daddy could go to baptism class then grocery shopping. :-) and we were actually just talking about how your household is like your own mini preschool/daycare. you are putting your teacher skills to good use and making great lessons w/ daily household events. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes a little preschool is a good way to describe it! Having an aunt to entertain while mommy and daddy head to the grocery store is the best idea of all though!

    ReplyDelete