Thursday, March 15, 2012

Testing testing 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6

So a few people have said to me, "Can you imagine what it would be like if all the kids got sick at once?" I gave a little laugh and responded that yes that would just be awful. But, really what were the chances? Especially now that the weather is getting warmer.
Well...spoke too soon. Maybe it was a test to see what we can really handle. You see it started on Thursday and one at a time everyone got sick minus one child (who I just keep waiting to join the in). On Monday we had a big family sick day. This meant no school for the oldest child. Let me tell you, by 8:00 AM I totally understood why some parents send their kids to school the day after they are sick and don't wait the 24 hours. (Which drove me crazy as a teacher) It crossed my mind that he would have been just fine at school and our sick day would have been so much more a sick day! Yes, I know, not the most loving thought. But, just being honest. He was jumping off the walls!
So, the statement I made that it would be awful was very true. I was tired, short tempered, and the house looked like one big laundry pile. One of the challenges of foster care is you are not allowed to leave the children with anyone unless they are agency approved and have gone through an interview, a home inspection, and have been finger printed. Being brand new, we don't know anyone. After a plea to the agency, they found us a family to take the kids for a few hours, and our kids went to hang out with the neighbors. We scrubbed and scrubbed the house and tackled the laundry. The whole time I was thinking, "This better not happenagain!" 

2 comments:

  1. OMG- that sounds horrible! Hopefully the worst is over!!
    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I must admit that I am one of those parents who sends their kids to school when they are sick. Unless they have a high fever or are puking then they are going to school. Feel a bit sorry for the teachers, but my kids got sick from somewhere and they are going to share with their friends anyway. Hopefully this won't happen for you again, but honestly I'd rather have the sickness all at once rather than spreading it out for weeks.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete