Saturday, September 15, 2012

It's the Simple Things

We had such a busy summer going here, there, and everywhere that I haven't heard, "What can we do?" for quite some time. Now that Kyle is back teaching and there is a new baby in the house, we stay a little closer to home during the week. I have quickly been reminded of the importance of finding new and fun ways to entertain kids. Of course I want to keep their days fun, but also the less "I'm bored" I hear, the more sane I stay! Since becoming a mom, I have come to the realization that kids don't need or even want big fancy toys (well they may want them, but once they have them they quickly lose interest). It is amazing how simple things can provide entertainment and educational experiences for very little cost.

Here are a couple forms of entertainment that have been a hit at our house lately! 
Spray bottles! I found them on clearance for 50 cents a piece. The kids take them outside to "spray paint"  and "clean".They also discovered if they put there hands down on dry deck boards and spray their hands, when they lift their hands the outline will still be there. 
The action of spraying the water is great for fine motor skills! 

Shaving cream! It's oldie but a goody. The kids love the way it feels and smells. It is a great sensory experience that allows the kids to use their fingers to practice writing letters, numbers, and shapes. 

Some like getting a little more "into" it than others! 



2 comments: