Monday, February 20, 2012

Picky Eaters

Let me describe the typical scene at dinner at my house. Around 4:45 PM as I am trying to get dinner together, Dominic is at the gate looking into the kitchen crying because he wants to be held and he wants a cracker (his favorite food ever!). He doesn't yet understand that it wouldn't be the healthiest thing to finish an entire sleeve of Ritz crackers by himself in a day. Ava is saying she wants to help with dinner and at the same time is saying she doesn't like what is being made.  I am watching the clock and counting down the minutes until Daddy walks in the door. Stressful?! YES! It is when I usually cave and let Ava watch something on TV and set Dominic up with some cheerios.I continue putting everything together while I feel bad that I am not holding Dominc and that I am not letting Ava help.

Once everyone is seated and the prayer has been said the battle over what is on the plate (or tray in Dominic's case) begins. If Dominic doesn't like it, he pushes it on the floor, screams, and signs all done. We scramble to find something (besides crackers) that Dominic will eat. If Ava doesn't like it, she pushes it around her plate and whines that it is not good. The easiest thing to do would be to make her something she wants. However, we decided that we wouldn't do that once our kids reached a certain age. I think we are pretty reasonable with our dinner choices and try to make them as kid friendly as possible, but we won't live on peanut butter and jelly and mac and cheese.

So, after some brainstorming, Kyle and I have come up with a dinner plan that we hope will encourage Ava to try new foods and feel more included in meal preparations. One evening a week Ava will help prepare the meal. I have noticed that when I allow her to cut up fruits or bake she likes to eat, smell, and try ingredients. My thought is by finding different and fun dinner menus Ava will be exposed to new foods. Allowing her to help will give her more ownership over the meal and (maybe) encourage her to at least try it. I like the idea that it will be a great learning opportunty for her and I know it will create some great memories.

I hope to find some great kid friendly (but healthy) recipes this week so Friday can be our first go at our new weekly cooking time! I will post the recipe and Ava's review of it. As for Dominic, he will have to wait at least another year to join in the fun. In the meantime I need to find a good mealtime preparation strategy to entertain him and distract him from wanting more crackers! Suggestions welcomed!

1 comment:

  1. I love that Ava can help you with the dinner. When Wade helps me, he eats more of what HE made because HE made it. :) And I love the apron Grandma made her- you should post a pic of that on here :)

    -Staci
    Let's Teach Something 

    ReplyDelete