Wednesday, February 8, 2012

 I have to admit that there are times during the day (I stay home with my two children) that various events happen and I can't help but thinking to myself, "Now this would be a fun blog." Weird? Maybe. I attribute it to the fact that, unlike working outside the home, there aren't lots of other adults around to share the days happenings as they unfold. Though my 2 1/2 year old and 1 year old are great company and so much fun to be around, there are just some things they really might not take an interest in. Now, if I want to talk about the latest episode of Elmo's World, or have a serious book discussion about Good Night Moon or Froggy Bakes a Cake, they're game!

Prior to staying home I taught third grade at a wonderful school. In addition to the missing the kids and my coworkers, I will admit I miss the staff meetings. Now most teachers might look at me funny when I say this because staff meetings come at the end of an already busy day. And, it is rare you walk out of staff meetings without more on the to do list. Here's why I miss them. A staff meeting is a scheduled time for teachers to collaborate. It is a time to structure, organize, and work through challenges. All these professionals in one room working together. As a stay at home mom, I dream of being able to take the joys and challenges of the day to a staff meeting with others who are going through the same thing. I am very blessed to be married to a wonderful husband who is a great daddy. Together we are able to talk about parenting, celebrate the joys, and work through the challenges. But there is something comforting when you connect with other stay at home moms. You start to realize that you are not alone on those days you wonder how long until naptime and realize its only 8:30 AM.

So, I guess this brings me to the reason I am so excited about blogging and being more connected to other bloggers. I guess you could say I see it as my staff meeting. A place to talk with other professionals about the joys and struggles of being a mom. I want this to be a place to bounce ideas around and discuss many topics that come with the awesome responsibility of being mom. And of course when something funny, sweet, or frustrating happens during the day we might not be able to meet in the hall or in the staff lounge to laugh or cry about it, but we can meet on here. A wonderful feature the generation of stay at home moms before us didn't have.

I hope you feel welcome here and understand that I am far from being super mom and having the whole parenting thing figured out. I am a mom who loves her two children with all her heart and lovingly acknowledges that I will always be a learner in the field of parenting.

3 comments:

  1. I love it, Amanda!! You're going to do great with this! I'm excited for you!!!!

    -Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration Staci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true! I definitely feel the same way. There are days I just need to talk to adults! And it's sad that going to Walmart alone (after Scott gets home) is like therapy...never thought that would happen :) I miss the staff meetings, too, although never thought I would!!

    ReplyDelete