Thursday, June 7, 2012

Our Giant Board Game!

My bigger kids are getting to the age where they want to play board games. Games teach so many important skills such as turn taking, following directions, being a good sport, counting, color recognition....the list goes on!   I just wish there was more time during the day to sit with my bigger kiddos and play board games. When Kyle is at work, the idea of board games and two toddlers running around doesn't seem to mix. It never fails one of the babies runs off with game piece and wants in on the action. The scene usually ends with frustrated kids and upset babies. Board games in this house require two adults. One to play the games with our three oldest and one to entertain the two youngest. Recently, I came up with a solution that has allowed the kids to play a board game and has allowed me to work with them on important skills board games offer without interference from the little ones!

Together, the kids and I created a life size game board in the driveway. In this game, the babies can't walk away with the pieces because the kids are the pieces! To create the game I drew a path of squares in the driveway. The kids helped me brainstorm different actions they would have to act out if they landed on a particular square. They came up with some great ideas such as hop, act like a monkey, turn around, and stand like a tree. I added some things such as say the ABCs and count to 10.  Stored away from my student teaching days, I had a large dice I made from two sponges glued together that I covered in yellow felt. The babies did like running for the dice when it was rolled, but it was easy enough to sneak away when it was time to roll again. They also had fun imitating the others acting out the different animals and actions written on the squares.

The game board.  
Our giant dice.
Ava turning around since she landed on the  "turn around " square. Dominic is most likely eating a rock (another reason we can't have small game pieces out when he is around!)


"Mommy, I'm a tree!" 

The game was a hit and has been played several times. Even the neighbors came over one afternoon for a couple of rounds! The best part is, when it rains the game will wash away and we can dream up a new game for the driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment