Thursday, March 8, 2012

Our New Reality (For now)

I just had to add this picture because all the kids did a painting project and Dominic had his first  painting experience. He was way too cute! 
Organization and boundary setting has been key to helping our newest little ones adjust to our family. Sticker intensive charts decorate the walls, and a picture daily schedule helps them to see what they can expect throughout the day. Since this was a typical daily schedule for Ava and Dominic,  the daily routine pretty much stayed the same. The oldest of our new three likes to check the chart when we start to switch activities.
 
 
5 pairs of shoes- kind of feels like a little shoe store. I had trouble keeping track of socks for two kids. I imagine I will have many more unmatched pairs along the way.   
The idea of sharing gets a little tricky. For Ava, pretty much overnight she was expected to share everything.  When  our new little one's brought a few special items from home after a family visit they understandably did not want to share. This was difficult for Ava to understand. A friend had a great idea. Each of the older three (the Dominic and the baby don't really have a clue about sharing yet) decorated their own box. (Two are the boxes are turned to keep names confidential.) Anything special that comes from home that our foster children don't want to share can go in the box. Ava will add her own 5 or 6 items that she doesn't want to share. If they want to use items in their box they need to sit in a quiet place away from the others. If they want their items in the playroom, then it is understood that they will need to share. The kids had fun decorating their boxes. It is also a great way to cut down on the extra clutter!


Things I have a new appreciation for:
  • The fact that some people do this everyday alone with little support. I have a whole new appreciation for single parents with large families. Things are running smoothly here because Kyle and I can do it together. 
  • I used to think sleeping past 7 was great. Our newest little ones love to wake up at 5:30AM. So I guess now my new sleep in time is anything past that!
  • The fact that I have a dryer and dishwasher. How people with large families  kept up with laundry and dishes without them I'll never know! I don't think we are that talented! : ) 

1 comment:

  1. I love the individual box ideas!! So cute :) I can't wait to meet my new nieces/nephews soon!!

    -Staci
    Let's Teach Something 

    ReplyDelete